Does anyone remember that book? Poor Alexander :( I felt a little like Alexander today. Thank heavens for my very patient and loving husband who had to hear the brunt of my frustration when I got home tonight. It's not like this is the first sour day I've ever had in my life but it just didn't go as planned....
I knew we would have a snowstorm last night and I knew the roads would be slick on the way to Perrysburg this morning but for some reason I didn't really adjust for that. And as Steve continued to tell me to leave or I was going to be late...I continued to ignore him...so I was late for the first time today (Caroline, I know what you're thinking). No big deal. But then...I hurt my first patient of the day. :( It was the worst feeling! I was examining this older gentleman who, to make a long story short, is on chronic steroids for one of his conditions. One of the side effects of being on these drugs long term is thinning of the skin. Combine that with a physiologic thinning of the skin due to aging and this man's skin was about this thickness of tissue paper. I was trying to help him up and must have grabbed his arm too tightly because he lost an entire layer of skin and started to bleed profusely. I can't explain how awful I felt...I just wanted to leave the room in tears. The rest of the day wasn't much better. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but I survived. I'm hoping the dark, gloomy cloud doesn't follow me again tomorrow. Maybe a good night sleep and a little better planning in anticipation of a snowy morning tomorrow will do the trick :)
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment