Friday, March 21, 2008
The Night Owl vs. The Early Bird
I finished my LAST overnight shift of my ER rotation at 9am today (well yesterday technically) and because I slept through most of the afternoon, I am now awake at 1:30am. Through a random assignment of the student schedules, I rather unluckily received a lot of night shifts for this month. I did the 6p-6a shift last week and the 9p-9a shift this week. I quickly learned that I am not a night owl - Not because I have a hard time staying awake at 4am, but because being the Type A control freak that I am, I can't stand having my schedule thrown upside down. Getting off at 9am is bizarre - the sun is up, the radio DJs are discussing the winding down of morning commute traffic, and my husband is already at the library beginning his day. It feels unnatural to go home, put on your PJs, wash your face and go to sleep in your partially dark room. Not to mention how weird it is eating a bowl of cereal for "breakfast" at 6pm and lasagna for "dinner" at 4am. Talking to the nurses and physicians who consistently work nights, they love it and say you get used to it, but I've decided I would much rather start at 6am and be done by 6pm. In my opinion, the early bird gets the worm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment