Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Trauma Surgery!

Today was my 2nd day of trauma/general surgery. I was assigned to trauma this month but since the past couple of weeks have been relatively slow in the trauma world in Toledo (lucky for the general population, unlucky for me), I'm making friends with the surgery residents to get in on as many general surgery cases as possible. I'm assisting on a laparoscopic cholecystectomy (i.e. gallbladder removal with camera) tomorrow afternoon and am very excited/nervous. Yesterday was pretty slow day and I was a little uneasy about how this rotation was going to go, but today was much better. I did my first trauma consult, made friends with the residents by offering to do one of their general surgery consults (unfortunately for me, it was a consult for a thyroid nodule/mass - not one of my "areas of expertise" - haha like I have any at this point), and did a progress note and some admission orders on a trauma patient that came in last night. In a previous post while I was in the ER, I said something about how I would rather start a shift earlier in order to get off earlier. I may be slightly retracting that statement - this morning I had to be at the hospital (a 20min drive) by 5:20-5:30 this AM for pre-rounds which meant I was kicked out of bed by Steve before 4:30am. That may be a little to early for my liking. Anyways, there's an update and I will try to post something tomorrow about the surgery.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I didn't know you had a blog. I am so glad because I never keep in touch with you, and this blog thing is a great way to do that. Anyways you look so cute in your scrubs. Congrats on all of your hard work. I miss you! Your far away friend, Stacy