When I started this blog, I didn't intend to just post pics of us doing fun things, but it appears that is what's been happening the past few months. HOWEVER, today I have a new platform.
Today we are going to talk about the Physician Assistant (PA) profession. For those that are unfamilar, may I suggest wikipedia.com (normally I wouldn't recommend wikipedia but I have reviewed their article on physician assistants and it's accurate). In a nutshell, PAs earn a master's degree in a 24-30 month postbachelor program that is designed to mimic medical school. We take the same courses (minus histology and embryology, in most cases) and complete the majority of the same clinical rotations with the biggest difference being that we are not required to complete a residency. Those that decide to become a physician assistant don't do so because they are "too lazy to become a doctor", "not smart enough to become a doctor", or "didn't get into medical school." I put those 3 statements in quotes because they are all things I have been asked by patients in the past 6 months. Those reading this blog that know me know that I am hardworking and smart enough to be a doctor and that I would have gotten into medical school. Why did I decide to write this post you may ask. Well this post was stimulated by a few aggravating events in the past 24 hours.
Let's start with event #1. We were invited to a friend's new home last night to share wine and conversation prior to going out to a fundraising event. Amongst the crowd of 10 sitting around chatting was a couple we hadn't met before. We learned that they too were students, him a 4th year medical student and her a pharmacy student. Upon learning that I was a PA student, the pharmacy student first mentioned her disapproval of the "new" PA prescribing rights in Ohio (which aren't really new - the law was passed in Ohio 2 years ago and PAs has been prescribing medications in most other states for 30 years or so). Then she preceded to say something to the effect of "I don't really think PAs are that good." Now I strongly believe in the ability to have your own opinion, but why in the world would you share it with someone has spent the past 2 years STUDYING TO BE A PA???????
Event #2. While at the fundraiser for a medical mission trip which several medical students and PA students are going on, a 3rd year med student in Steve's class was trying to initiate conversation with me and asked "so what are you interested in?" I wasn't sure that he knew I was a PA student (most in Steve's class know me as "steve's wife"), so I said "I'm a physician assistant student and I'm not sure yet. I've liked most of my rotations including ER and surgery. The kicker is that he replied with....."well have you considered medicine?" Unsure of what he meant, I asked "you mean internal medicine?" and he said "no, medicine like going to medical school." Steve and I were both so shocked by his response, I didn't even know what to say. I'm pretty sure PAs and physicians practice the same "medicine."
Event #3. An article in Toledo's newspaper, The Blade, about the aforementioned fundraiser, said "UT students studying to be physicians, nurses, and physician's assistants...." The correct term is PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTS.....lose the 's!!
In summary, I would just like to say that I think all the members of the healthcare system are valueable. The whole hierarchy thing is ridiculous...I don't feel that my job is any more or less important than a nurse's, pharmacist's, physical therapist's or physician's. We all have necessary functions and should be working together as a team.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment